Violence within your family or relationship impacts every aspect of yours and your family’s life – home, work, relationships with others and, most importantly, your health.
It can be a significant factor in the breakdown of a relationship and have serious ramifications on many legal matters pertaining to your divorce, separation and children.
McLaughlins Lawyers have an impeccable knowledge of all Acts that govern Family and Domestic Violence, enabling us to help ensure quick resolutions.
Changes to the Legal Definition of Domestic Violence
The definition of domestic violence was recently widened to include:
- Following a person when the person is out in public including by vehicle or on foot.
- Repeatedly contacting a person by telephone, SMS message, email, or social networking site without the person’s consent.
- Remaining outside a person’s residence or place of work.
- Repeated derogatory taunts, including racial taunts.
- Threatening to disclose a person’s sexual orientation to the person’s friends or family without the person’s consent.
- Threatening to withhold a person’s medication.
- A child overhearing threats of physical abuse.
- A child comforting or providing assistance to a person also has been physically abused.
- A child cleaning up a site after property has been damaged.
How to Protect Yourself
- If your situation is an emergency dial 000.
- If you or your family require assistance to meet the diverse needs of families fleeing domestic violence (this could include food, blankets, urgent funds, etc.) quickly and efficiently then we recommend you contact
- For females seeking an application for a Domestic Violence Order, assistance can be sought through the Domestic Violence Centre at the Courthouse (1300 516 700).
- For men seeking an application for a Domestic Violence Order, Centacare is able to offer assistance (3807 7622).
Find out how McLaughlins Lawyers can help you today 07 5591 5099.
“Thank you for all you have done for me. Representing me, guiding me and speaking to me positively and giving me strength and focus to work again.”