How to get an employer to sponsor you in Australia

Many temporary visa holders in Australia are not sure how to find an employer to sponsor them.

If you are already working, ask your employer now if they are open to the idea of visa sponsorship. If the answer is a firm no, start looking for work elsewhere so you can find an employer that is open to the idea. If your employer is unsure or would like to find out more, suggest they call our office. We can explain the employer obligations and costs for the different visa options.

If you are studying, start networking to find potential employers. Offer to start working part-time so your employer can get a better understanding of how you work. It is important to build the relationship and trust.

If you are not working or do not have an employer to sponsor you, make a list of potential employers and visit them in person with your resume in hand. Do not just email your resume. It is important you meet people and make personal connections. Explain that one of the key benefits of employer sponsorship is that the employer can secure a reliable employee for at least 3 years, depending on the visa type.

If you cannot work on your current visa, offer to do voluntary training work for two or three days. The voluntary training work is an opportunity to show your skills and enthusiasm.

For regional employers the occupation options are much greater. Regional Australia includes the Gold Coast and is basically anywhere in Australia except for Sydney, Melbourne or Brisbane.

The easiest, fastest route to permanent residence and the least-expensive option for both parties is the 494 regional employer sponsored visa. To apply for this visa, you must have:

  • competent English (IELTS 6 or equivalent);
  • 3 year’s full-time employment experience in your occupation; and
  • a positive skill assessment in your nominated occupation.

If you do not yet have all of the above, the next best option is a 482 temporary skills shortage visa. This visa only requires 2 years employment experience. You can use part-time employment experience, which is considered half – so two year’s part-time is considered 1 year full-time. Skill assessments are not required except for some trade occupations for some passport holders. The English level required is also lower. The occupation list for this visa is shorter though.

If you have less than 2 year’s employment experience, consider the 485 visa if you finished studying in the last 6 months. If your visa expires soon, you can gain 12 months more experience through the 408 temporary activity (covid-19 stream) visa if your employer is in tourism or hospitality, agriculture, food processing, health care, aged care, disability or child care.

Choose an occupation you enjoy that leads to permanent residence. Keep gaining employment experience in that occupation. Changing occupations means it will take longer to acquire the required experience.

If you or your potential sponsor want to find out more about the best option that leads to permanent residence for you, contact us on (07) 5591 5099 and arrange a consultation now. Online zoom consultations are available for those outside Southeast Queensland.


Author: Sed Crest

Director: Ian Kennedy

Date: 15 February 2022

Related Tag:- Collaborative Law Gold Coast