Whilst many of us are kick-starting the year by planning our personal goals for 2019, we don’t usually think about our ‘law goals’.
A ‘Law Goal’ sounds far too dull – and probably expensive – you may think. But if you consider your personal goals, many of them may involve legal issues or have legal implications – whether we like it or not.
So let’s have a look at what 2019 Law Goals you might have.
When Things Go Your Way – Planned Goals
In life we can map out and plan the course and direction we want to go in. Your planned goals which may involve the law include:
- Your plan to buy or sell a business – this one transaction can include many legal aspects:
- A purchase or sale agreement;
- You may need to set up a company or trust;
- There may be a lease agreement you need advice on.
- Deciding to get on the property ladder and buy a property, or deciding to move homes, is another common goal. You may need a lawyer to help you with:
- The transfer of the property i.e. the conveyance;
- Review of the mortgage loan documents from the bank.
- Tying the knot – always a big ticket item if it is on your list. This is an exciting time to plan your special day. One of the things you and your partner may want to consider is having a “pre-nup” style financial agreement to protect assets.
When Things Turn Pear Shaped – Unplanned Law Matters
We all know that if there is one thing you can guarantee, it is that things will happen during the year that you DID NOT plan. Some unplanned events, where you may find yourself looking for a lawyer are:
- Financial problems – where your business may be going insolvent or you may be considering filing for bankruptcy;
- Family problems – separation from your partner or spouse and trying to agree parenting arrangements and a property settlement;
- Poor health and medical matters – when loved ones fall ill and/or unexpectedly pass away – you may need to arrange an Enduring Power of Attorney or find yourself appointed as the executor of the estate.
Whether you have already realised what some of your 2019 ‘Law Goals’ may be or whether they come up unexpectedly, having a team of trusted lawyers you can rely on to assist you through those matters is important. McLaughlins Lawyers have been on the Gold Coast for 60 years – We stand by you. Get in touch with our knowledgeable team of lawyers who can help you with your legal matters on (07) 5591 5099.
Author: Joelene Nel
Director: Sophie Pearson
Date: 8 January 2019